Saturday, January 9, 2010

Top 20 Albums of the 2000s

Alright, so I've finished my top 20 albums of the 2000s list. I would write a long introduction about how I don't think these are the actual best albums of the decade but rather MY most enjoyed/favorite/listened to/appreciated albums, but instead I'll just refer you to Peter and Danny's posts.

I'll confess that I didn't really start listening to music until Freshman year of highschool. I owned 2 cds before starting at Strake in 2002 (Barenaked Ladies Greatest Hits and a burned copy of Back for the First Time by Ludacris). Then came my glorious love affair with Oink... God I miss him... and I was finally exposed to some of the wonderful music I had been missing out on (Beulah, I'm looking at you). Going to college in Austin also helped alot. I would write more about that, but I'm still depressed about the National Championship...

I'd also like to thank the others for their lists so far. I hadn't listened to Up The Bracket in years.

So anyway, here's my list with some background on why I like it. I hope you enjoy it.


Honorable Mention
Kings of Leon - Youth & Young Manhood (2003)


This is one of the first albums I heard once I started actually listening to music. These guys will always hold a small space in my heart, no matter how big their egos get.



20
Sondre Lerche - Faces Down (2002)


I probably listened to this album twice a week for 2 months while I did an internship about The Large Hadron Collider at Rice one summer during high school. It combines everything I like about pop into 1 album.



19
Say Anything - Is a Real Boy (2004)


Some people use Rage Against the Machine as their angst-ridden, moody release. I've only needed Say Anything for the past 5 years.



18
Radiohead - Kid A (2000)


Of course.



17
Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts (2002)


The Decemberists are strange to me. I don't remember going through any binge listening sessions like I did with Elliott Smith or Of Montreal, but they're still my 5th most listened to band. This is my favorite album by them, at any rate.



16
Daft Punk - Discovery (2001)


Interstella 5555 is a work of art. They're also probably the band I most want to see live.



15
Stars - Heart (2003)


I only have one word of advice for you: Don't see Stars live. Continue to believe that the lead girl is a cute 20-something year old hipster. I promise you'll like the music more that way



14
Spoon - Girls Can Tell (2001)


Spoon was the first band I saw live in Austin. They also hold the record for most times I've seen a band live. While I first listened to Kill the Moonlight, Girls Can Tell ends up being my favorite by them.



13
Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast (2000)


This was one of the first albums that Peter and I bonded over. He's one of my closest musical Confidants. Oh, this album also kicks ass.



12
Beulah - Yoko Demo (2002/2003)


For about 3 years whenever anyone would ask me what my favorite band was, I would say Beulah. They were the first band where I would actively search for every B-side and live performance I could possibly find. Finding the demo for their last album, Yoko, was one of the most excited I've ever been.



11
TV on the Radio - Dear Science (2008)


Back in college I went through a huge musical slump. I started hating everything new that came out and kept reverting to albums I had already listened to 30 times over. Dear Science got me out of that slump and gave me hope for the future. Definitely my favorite album of 2008.



10
The Strokes - Is This It? (2001)


Another one of my first exposures early in highschool. The only thing wrong with this album is that it was so good that everything else The Strokes have done since sounds like shit, comparatively.



9
Kanye West - The College Dropout (2004)


I know, I know. It's just so damn good though! I'll never forgive him for what he did to my girl Taylor though.



8
Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress (2003)


There are about 6 different songs on this album that I listened to 15 times in a row. If that's not enough to get me to like it, I don't know what is.



7
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (2003)


As Natalie Portman told Zach Braff in Garden State, this album "changed my life". Just kidding, I'm not an asshole.



6
Ambulance Ltd - Ambulance Ltd (2004)


I have no idea why these guys aren't famous. When I saw them at ACL in 2005 they were off on a side stage early in the morning with a crowd 1/50th the size of Kasabian's (ugh). Maybe it's because they haven't released a full length album since 2004. They're probably too busy doing heroin and analyzing Pollock in the Andy Warhol museum.



5
Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans (2004)


Sufjan Stevens was such a breath of fresh air when I first started listening to him. It's funny how music goes in trends where new bands just sound like reinventions of old bands. This album reinvigorated the singer songwriter appreciator in me.



4
Of Montreal - Satanic Panic in the Attic (2004)


Jeepers creepers. The first time I heard this album it knocked me on my ass, Peter can attest. I think it is one of the albums most responsible for advancing my search. After listening to it I couldn't wait to find other crazy albums. It is also partly responsible for my undying love for Elephant 6 (along with Beulah, of course).



3
Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)


Arcade Fire is still the best concert I've ever been to. It was back in Highschool at Fat Cats on Washington before it shut down. They started the show with a low bass buzz that grew steadily for at least 3 minutes and finally exploded into Wake Up. It's the most excited I've been during a concert.



2
Voxtrot - Raised by Wolves EP/Mothers, Daughters, Sisters & Wives EP (2005/2006)


Freshman year at UT I signed up to do concert/album reviews for the school newspaper. I suggested that my first review be of the Voxtrot/Octopus Project concert at Emos. After telling the bouncer that I was on the VIP list (ahem) I quickly moved over to the stage and stood awkwardly by myself for the next 3 hours. The showmanship of these guys was equally awkward as me standing by myself in a crowd, but I loved the music. Voxtrot continues to be my favorite Austin band.



1
Elliott Smith - Figure 8 (2000)


Tah-Dah! Number 1! If you've seen my last.fm you should have probably already figured out that this would be my #1. I've listened to Elliott smith almost 3X as much as my 2nd most listened to artist. What can you really say about your absolute favorite album though? I think if I actually went into any detail it would come off way too personal and egocentric. Figure 8 is the perfect album.



No comments:

Post a Comment